Operatives of the Edo State Police Command on Thursday rescued two kidnap victims in Uhunmwode Local Government Area of the state.
The Deputy Public Relations Officer of the command, Jennifer Iwegbu, disclosed this in a statement on Friday in Benin City, the Edo State capital.
She explained that the operatives were on patrol at about 8am on Thursday along Obadan community off Benin-Auchi Road when they received a distress call from residents of Ago-Orio community along the Benin-Lagos Road.
The people, according to Iwegbu, had reported that a four-man armed gang of suspected kidnappers had taken two persons – a 65-year-old man identified as Samson Osegbowa and 38-year-old Stanley Peters who had been working on their farmlands.
She said the team of policemen in collaboration with the community’s local vigilantes raced to the scene and embarked on an intensive bush combing.
Both victims, the command spokesperson said, were rescued during the operation and have since been reunited with their family members.
She added that one of the suspects was killed while the security operatives recovered a wooden gun and three cutlasses, among other items from the scene.
Read the full statement below:
Edo Police Rescue Kidnapped Victims
As part of efforts by Edo State Police Command to sustain the ongoing fight against nefarious activities in the state, especially kidnapping, Police Operatives of the Command rescued two (2) kidnapped victims.
Operatives of the Command on 22/09/2022 at about 0800hr while on patrol along Obadan community off Benin-Auchi road in Uhunmwonde LGA of Edo state responded to a distress call from distraught indigenes of Ago-Orio community along Benin-Lagos Road that a four-man armed gang suspected to be kidnappers had taken two persons, One Samson Osegbowa ‘M’ 65yrs and Stanley Peters ‘M’ 38yrs, while working on their farmland.
On receipt of the information, the team of Operatives in collaboration with the community’s local vigilantes immediately swung into action, moved to the scene, and embarked on intensive bush combing.
During the rescue operation, both victims were rescued unhurt and have since been reunited with their family members, however, one of the kidnappers was neutralized during the operation.
The following items were recovered at the scene of the crime, One Wooden gun, three cutlasses, One torchlight, and a pair of operational shoes.
Meanwhile, intensive bush combing of the area is still ongoing for possible arrest of the other fleeing gang members.
While reaffirming the Command’s unwavering commitment to ensuring a safe Edo state for the general populace, the Commissioner of Police ( CP )Abutu Yaro fdc also appeals for more collaboration from members of the Public, noting that with credible information there is no limit to what the Police Command can do in combating crimes, especially heinous ones.
ASP IWEGBU U. JENNIFER
DEPUTY POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
FOR: COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
EDO STATE COMMAND,
Two Killed As Gunmen Attack Police Checkpoint In Ebonyi
Two persons have been confirmed dead following another attack by unknown gunmen at a Police Checkpoint along the Presco junction axis of the ever-busy Enugu-Abakaliki expressway in Abakalik, Ebonyi State.
The incident occured at about 8pm on Monday night and created panic and tension along the major expressway as motorists and commuters scampered for safety while the gun battle lasted.
A source, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, said that the gunmen operated on a motorcycle to attack the police officers at their duty post.
The gunmen on arriving at the junction opened fire on the policemen on duty while the policemen responded immediately resulting to sporadic exchange of gunshots. When the gun duel subsided, people who went close to the scene observed that a policeman was shot dead while one of the gunmen was also killed.
When contacted, the Ebonyi State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Chris Anyanwu, confirmed the incident.
SP Anyanwu said one policeman and an unknown gunman were shot dead during the clash between the Police and the unknown gunmen on Monday night.
In other news, parents of students at different Unity Schools in Ebonyi State have demanded for the immediate closure of the schools following the threat by the outlawed Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) to shut down the South-East for five days.
The parents, who trooped to the schools in the early hours of on Tuesday, demanded that their children and wards be released to them on or before Thursday this week before the commencement of the sit-at-home order, which the secessionist group announced will start on Friday.
A parent, Mrs. Grace Ofor, said: “We are here to demand for the release of our children. They have finished their exams and I don’t see the reason why they are still keeping them here. IPOB announced that they will shut down the South-East from Friday this week till Wednesday next week and nobody knows how long it will last, so we urge them to let our kids go.”
Following the sit-at-home order, the Catholic Bishop of Abakaliki has directed that Holy Rosary School in the state be closed on Thursday and the students vacate the school.
Similarly, many ceremonies including burials, weddings and other social activities in the state have been put on hold by their organizers.
Womb Raiders Cut Mexican Woman Open To Steal Foetus
A pregnant Mexican woman died after she was cut open by two assailants who stole her unborn baby, authorities said Monday.
The alleged perpetrators were arrested with a newborn in their possession, the attorney general’s office in the eastern state of Veracruz said in a statement.
The suspects, a man and a woman, appeared before a judge on Monday accused of kidnapping and femicide.
They allegedly sliced open the victim to extract the fetus because the woman attacker was unable to have children herself, an official linked to the investigation told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The victim was lured to her death through social media with a promise of clothes for her baby, relatives told local media, which said that it was the third case of its kind in recent years.
More than 3,700 women were murdered in violence-plagued Mexico in 2021, of which around 1,000 were classified as femicides, according to official figures.
Vandals Kill Vigilante, Destroy Six Power Transmission Towers In Rivers
Six power transmission towers belonging to the Niger Delta Power Holding Company have been destroyed by vandals in Rivers State, while a member of a vigilante group in the affected area was shot dead by the miscreants, the NDPHC announced on Sunday.
It said the unrelenting attacks on power infrastructure by economic saboteurs leading to the inability of Nigerians to access adequate electricity for economic growth had continued unabated.
“In recent times, several projects being embarked upon by Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited have been attacked and contractors either killed or maimed by attackers,” the power firm stated in a statement issued in Abuja by its Media Adviser, Adesanya Adejokun.
It stated that on September 3, 2022, some miscreants attacked and vandalised the 330kV DC Afam – Onne Transmission Line in Gbake community
It said the vandals cut down four transmission towers (T19, T20, T21 and T22), dismantled and carted them away, adding that on October 10, 2022, the miscreants attacked and vandalised two additional towers on the same 330kV DC Afam – Onne Transmission Line.
“During a third attempt, luck, however, ran out on them as efforts of vigilante members, buoyed by security operatives paid off, resulting in the arrest of nine of the miscreants. They have since been charged to court to face the full wrath of the law,” the NDPHC stated.
It added, “During routine patrol in the night of November 25, 2022, vigilantes again encountered vandals along the same Afam-Onne 330kV DC Transmission Line. The vigilantes called for military reinforcement but before help came, one of the guards was shot and later died.