Connect with us
Ad

News

Police Foil Attack Attempt On Ekiti Assembly Complex

Published

on

Attempt by some hoodlums to attack and burn Ekiti State House of Assembly complex, was on Friday repelled by the operatives of the Rapid Response Squad(RRS) of the Ekiti State Police Command.

 

Our correspondent gathered that the hoodlums allegedly scaled the fence and made spirited efforts to spray a section of the complex with petrol and set it ablaze.

 

The Assembly had been in crisis since on Tuesday, after the election of the lawmaker representing Ikole constituency 1, Hon. Gboyega Aribisogan, as the new Speaker, to replace the late Funminiyi Afuye, who died on October 19,2022.

In the poll conducted during a plenary of the assembly, Aribisogan got a total of 15 votes to defeat the lawmaker representing Emure constituency, Hon Olubunmi Adelugba, who scored 10 in the election.

 

Some of the lawmakers and powerful leaders of the ruling All Progressives Congress in the state were said to be favourably disposed to Adelugba as the Speaker.

The Police Commissioner, Mr. Moronkeji Adesina, had deployed his men to shut down the assembly to maintain law and order as well as ensuring safety and security of lives and property.

The staff of the assembly were also chased out in the process to prevent being caught in the web of looming factional crisis.

 

The command’s Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police who confirmed the attempted attack revealed that the hoodlums, numbering 10, carrying two 25 litre kegs of petroleum allegedly invaded the assembly around 4am and made efforts to set it ablaze.

Abutu said officers of RRS , who were on ground and strategically positioned in the location, repelled and gave the hoodlums a hot chase into the nearby bush.

 

According to him, “I can confirm to you that these hoodlums carrying two kegs filled with petrol and also armed with cutlasses and other weapons came to burn down the assembly in the wee hours of today (Friday).

Continue Reading
Advertisement Ad
Click to comment
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Leave a Reply

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

News

AIB Signs MoU With Saudi Arabia On Training For Aircraft Engineers

Published

on

By

The federal government has signed an agreement with Saudi Arabia on training of aircraft accident investigators between the two countries.

 

The Accident Investigation Bureau of Nigeria, which has transmuted to National Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) signed for Nigeria, while the Accident Investigation Bureau of Saudi Arabia signed for the Arabian country in Abuja yesterday.

Speaking after signing the MoU, the commissioner of AIB-N, Akin Olateru said: “there is one aviation in the world and the rule of the game is cooperation. There is no one country that is an island. We need to work together as a team to enhance safety.

“We are both established. We both have equipment. We both have human capital but there are a lot of lessons we can learn from each other.”

 

Speaking on the details of the MoU, Olateru said, “Saudi Arabia will help us in the area of human capital development, we can engage ideas and its all about improving safety for the flying public.

 

We are going to have constant exchange of ideas.

There will be some form of training exchange programme.

This agreement would have signed before COVID but we are glad, it is signed now.”

 

Also speaking, the director-general, AIB Saudi Arabia, Abdulelah Felimban said: “We came to meet our counterpart in Nigeria, the Accident Investigation Bureau of Nigeria to open the channels of communication, of cooperation, of sharing experiences, learning from each other and benefiting from the capabilities that each of us have.

“We do investigations to ensure and promote sir safety.

 

Our business is to collect data, evidences, analyse them and put forward recommendations to make our skies safer.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Man Electrocuted While Stealing High-tension Wire In Abuja

Published

on

By

A middle-aged man, identified simply as Ezekiel, was electrocuted while trying to steal a high-tension wire in the Utako area of the Federal Capital Territory.

 

The incident occurred on Saturday night.

 

A commercial driver, who asked to be identified only as Hassan, told our correspondent on Sunday that Ezekiel sustained severe burns from the incident.

He said, “This early morning, a man known as Ezekiel, was electrocuted. He wanted to steal a wire from the high tension belonging to the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company and in the process of doing that he was electrocuted.

“We heard the sound of an electrical spark in the night and also heard the scream of the man.

 

“If not for the fact that saw, plier, and torchlight scattered on the ground, I would have thought that he wanted to commit suicide. But with those tools, he went there for a mission. The man was lucky he did not die, but he sustained multiple burn injuries.”

 

The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Adeh, confirmed the incident.

Adeh said, “Our men while on patrol came in contact with him; he had severe burns, and they rushed him to the Wuse General Hospital where he is currently receiving treatment. He will definitely be prosecuted but we will wait till he fully recovers. His tools are in our custody.”

Continue Reading

News

Aisha Buhari Withdraws Suit Against Detained Undergraduate

Published

on

By

Wife of the president, Aisha Buhari, has withdrawn the defamation of character suit she filed against a 500-Level student of the Federal University, Dutse, Aminu Adamu, before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

 

Adamu was arraigned on Tuesday before Justice Yusuf Halilu by the FCT Commissioner of Police following a complaint by Mrs Buhari over a tweet by the defendant on a one-count charge bordering on defamation of the character of the president’s wife.

 

He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was subsequently remanded at the Suleja Correctional Centre in Niger State by the judge, pending hearing of his bail application.

 

The matter took a happy turn for Adamu on Friday at the hearing of his bail application when the prosecution counsel, Fidelis Ogbobe, informed the court that the president’s wife had decided to withdraw the case against the defendant following the intervention of well-meaning Nigerians.

 

Based on the development, Ogbobe then applied for the withdrawal of the case, hinging the application on Section 108 (2) (a) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.

 

Ruling on the prosecution’s application to withdraw the case against Adamu, Justice Halilu commended Mrs Buhari for her gesture.

 

The judge, however, admonished parents and guardians to monitor their children and wards.

 

He thereafter discharged the defendant.

 

Adamu’s travails began in June when he tweeted on his Twitter handle, @aminullahie Catalyst, in which he screenshot Mrs Buhari’s image and wrote in Hausa “su mama anchi kudi talakawa ankoshi”, meaning, “mama has eaten monies meant for the poor to satisfaction”.

 

Following the president’s wife’s complaint, the police traced Adamu to Dutse, Jigawa State, five months after his tweet and arrested him on the premises of the university, brought him to Abuja and allegedly drove him straight to the Presidential Villa, where he was allegedly beaten and tortured.

 

His arrest and alleged torture on the instructions of the president’s wife were greeted with outrage from Nigerians, prompting the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), the umbrella body of Nigerian students, to first apologise to Mrs Buhari for Adamu’s indiscretion and pleaded for his release.

 

The body, however, later threatened a mass protest by students against Mrs Buhari pending when Adamu would be released.

 

The planned protest was scheduled to commence on Monday.

 

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022 Lodega.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x