Connect with us
Ad

Crime

Gunmen Kidnap Six In Enugu Community

Published

on

No less than six persons have been kidnapped in a one-week siege by gunmen at Ikem community in Isi-Uzo local government area of Enugu State.

The situation has worsened security matters in Isi-uzo Local Government Area that has yet to recover from the wanton killings by suspected herdsmen militia at Eha-Amufu, a neighboring community.

For three days running, the masked gunmen laid siege to Ikem-Isioroto along Obollo Afor – Nkalagu road and drove the villagers into the bush.

On Monday, January 16, eight masked gunmen attacked five young men, including the chairman of Federated Ikem Improvement Union Enugu branch, Mr. Emeka Odoh (aka Asokwa) as they concluded a security meeting in the neighbourhood.

 

Asokwa told newsmen that he was home from Enugu to join other members of the committee to find ways to strengthen the local security ahead of the coming general elections so as to ensure that people will exercise their franchise in peace.

He said: “As we drove out of the meeting venue, we found four gunmen on the main road brandishing guns. I was driving and instinctively reversed the car and behold there were another set of four gunmen behind us.

 

“The gunmen opened fire on us, shattering all the windscreens and the four tires, but I bravely drove through the hell of bullets with flat tires to safety.

“One of us was badly hit by the bullets and was immediately rushed to Enugu where eight bullets were extracted from his body by surgeons. He is still recuperating at the intensive care unit of the hospital”.

 

Enraged that their prey had escaped, the gunmen kidnapped two commercial motorcycle riders and made their escape through a bush route towards the boundary with Benue State.

As they withdrew, they robbed adjoining houses and stole food items and condiments.

The villagers narrated that as they were still reeling under the shock, the gunmen returned on Tuesday and kidnapped a native who was home from Enugu and a member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) who is his tenant. They said that no ransom demand has been made yet.

 

“Thursday night, the gunmen returned for the third time, this time at night, kidnapped three more people and shot one person who confronted them.

 

“As a result the villagers all slept in the bush for fear of their lives. Friday night they still slept in the surrounding bushes for fear the gunmen would return,” narrated another native.

 

He continued: “Ikem-Isioroto is strategic community on the northern border of Ikem. It is bounded by Benue State in the North and the routes to the rich farmlands have become a delight to kidnappers.

“Last year three kidnap incidents took place at Ikem and all the hostages were taken out through the same route. The local catechist was the first to be kidnapped, followed by a young man who came back from Italy. The third was a trader on his way to the market.

 

“In each case, ransome was paid before the victims were released.

 

“Security agencies made some arrests and the suspects are still being investigated. The suspects include Fulanis and their local collaborators The people are expecting quick prosecution of the suspects to serve as deterrence to others”.

 

A journalist and native of the affected area, Anayochukwu Agbo said “The latest attack shows a dangerous trend. The gunmen were masked, unlike in previous kidnaps, suggesting heavier involvement of locals in the attack. The way they sacked the village suggests this could be a test run to what could happen during the coming elections.

“That is why the security agencies should take this seriously as some paid gunmen have threatened to stop the electorate from voting in the southeast.

 

Army checkpoint should be approved for the hot spot where the gateaway route is located at a place called Ugwuatu.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement Ad
Click to comment
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Leave a Reply

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Crime

Police Arrest 50-Year-Old Man, Five Others For Raping 12-Year-Old Girl In Bauchi

Published

on

By

The Bauchi State Police Command has arrested a 50-year-old man and five others for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl in Katagum Local Government Area of Bauchi State several times.

 

Among the suspects were 40-year-old and 37-year-old men.

 

The spokesman for the command, Ahmed Wakil, a Superintendent of Police, disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists in the state on Friday.

 

He said that the case was transferred to the police from a lower Shariah Court in Yayu town in Chinade District of Katagum LGA.

 

He added that the suspects often lure the minor with monetary gifts of either N100 or N200 to commit their crime.

 

He said, “The command has arrested a 50-year-old and five others for raping a 12-year girl.

 

“The case was referred from the Lower sharia court, Yayu town Chinade district Katagum LGA on January 18, 2023, for discreet investigation regarding a 12-year-old girl who was raped on different occasions.

“A discreet investigation was conducted by the Gender Unit attached to the State Criminal Investigation Department of Bauchi.

 

“The investigation pointed to the following suspects namely; Abubakar Bello (50), Idriss Yakubu (40), Nasiru Dalhatu (40), Idris Sarkin Ruwa (50), Abubakar Jallaba (37) and Mustapha Kawu, male (40), all males and residents of Yayu village, Katagum LGA.

 

“The suspects confessed to have on different occasions enticed the little girl with monetary gifts ranging from N100 to N200 to have carnal knowledge of her.

 

“During the interrogation, all the suspects confessed to having had carnal knowledge of the underage victim.”

 

Wakil said that rape is a ‘capital offence and also against humanity and good conscience’ pointing out that section 283 of the penal code and Section 1(2a-c) of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act of Bauchi State prescribes the punishment for rape.

 

He said that during the investigation, the detectives of the command uncovered all facts and points to establish a prima-facie case against the accused persons respectively.

 

According to him, the Commissioner of Police, Aminu Alhassan, directed that the suspects be charged to court to face the full wrath of the law as justice will be served to the accused, the victim, and the society at large.

Continue Reading

Crime

Arabic Teacher Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Defiling Pupils

Published

on

By

An Ikeja Sexual offences and Domestic Violence Court yesterday sentenced an Arabic teacher or Alfa, Adam Farouk, to eight life imprisonment terms for defiling eight pupils in his class.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the pupils were aged from six to 11 years as at the time of the offence.

The convict committed the offences from November 2018 to February 2019 on Balogun Street, Parkview Estate, Ikoyi, Lagos.

Justice Abiola Soladoye held that the prosecution proved beyond reasonable doubt, the ingredients of the eight-count charge bordering on sexual assault by penetration.

 

Soladoye described the cleric as morally bankrupt and an embarrassment to the Islamic faith.

The judge said that the court did not fall for his lies, noting that the pupils’ evidence was corroborated as they identified the cleric as their teacher who penetrated their vaginas with his index fingers.

Soladoye also held that evidence of the 10th prosecution witness, a midwife with Women at Risk International Foundation (WARIF), Mrs Oluchi Nwoke-Okoi, revealed that the pupils had vaginal injuries.

The judge also held that the defendant asked the pupils to turn their backs while he defiled them one-by-one.

 

She said: “What an Islamic teacher, who took undue advantage of poor students in Islam and messed around with their purity and dignity.

“The defendant is hereby convicted of all the charges and sentenced to life imprisonment on each of the eight counts, but the sentences shall run concurrently,” Soladoye said.

The judge also ordered that the convict should have his name written in the Sexual Offenders Register of Lagos State.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen Behead Imo LGA Boss After Receiving N6m Ransom For His Release

Published

on

By

Gunmen have beheaded the Sole Administrator of the Ideato North Local Government Area of Imo State, Christopher Ohizu.

His abductors carried out the act after allegedly receiving a N6millon ransom.

The gunmen, who called themselves separatists, reportedly tied his hands backward with a rope before he was slaughtered.

The council boss was kidnapped with two others on Friday after his country home at Imoko community in Arondizuogu area of the LGA was razed.

 

He was shot on the legs before he was whisked away by his abductors.

It was learnt that the sole administrator was beheaded on Sunday two days later in the forest.

Videos of his beheading surfaced online on Sunday evening.

A source said: ”They beheaded the Ideato North Sole Administrator on Sunday. They posted the video of his beheading with his phone on his own WhatsApp status. This was how people got to know that he has been beheaded.

“He was sliced after collecting a ransom of N6millon. He was killed in such an inhuman way. The videos are terrifying. May God heal our land.”

Also in the video the separatists said: “We are not ESN, we are not IPOB, we are fighting to gain our freedom and there will be no election in the Southeast.”

 

When contacted, Imo Police spokesman Henry Okoye, confirmed the incident to the Nation.He said: “Mr Christopher Ohizu was abducted and two others were abducted in the early hours of 20th Jan 2023. He was the Sole Administrator SOLAD of Ideator North.”

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2022 Lodega.

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x