Russia will not take part in the draw for qualifying for Euro 2024, UEFA and the country’s football federation confirmed on Tuesday.
The Russian national team and Russian clubs were banned from international competitions earlier this year by UEFA following the invasion of Ukraine.
“All Russian teams are currently suspended following the decision of the UEFA Executive Committee of 28 February 2022 which has further been confirmed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport on 15 July 2022,” European football’s governing body said in a statement.
“Russia is therefore not included in the UEFA European Football Championship 2022-24 qualifying draw.”
Russia saw an appeal against the ban rejected by CAS in July.
“The Union is currently awaiting the full text of the CAS decision, following the study of which a decision will be made on further steps,” the Russian Football Union said.
Russia were also banned from the upcoming World Cup in Qatar by FIFA.
The team had originally qualified for the European qualifying playoffs.
The Russian women’s side were also kicked out of this year’s Euro in England, with their place taken by Portugal.
The 2024 European Championship will be hosted by Germany, with the qualifying draw set for October 9 in Frankfurt.
Germany’s interior minister has also asked for Belarus to be banned from the tournament due to the country’s backing of Russia.
French Footballer Gets 30-Year-Ban For Punching Referee
An amateur footballer in France, described as a “fanatic”, was on Friday banned from playing for 30 years for punching a referee.
“The penalty is appropriate. These fanatics must not be able to set foot on a football pitch again. They have no place there,” said Benoit Laine, president of the Loiret football district in central France.
The 25-year-old player, who was not named by officials, was angry at being sent off while featuring for Entente Sportive Gatinaise in a local cup game on January 8.
He punched the referee so hard that the official was signed off work for two days.
The team was also kicked out of the tournament for the next two seasons.
Arsenal Defeat Manchester United To Maintain EPL Lead
Arsenal made a huge statement of their Premier League intent yesterday, coming from behind to beat in-form Manchester United 3-2 in front of a raucous Emirates crowd.
United forward Marcus Rashford silenced the home fans with the opening goal but an equaliser from Eddie Nketiah and a wonderful second-half strike from Bukayo Saka turned the match on its head.
But the visitors, dangerous on the break throughout the match, levelled the pulsating encounter when Argentine defender Lisandro Martinez headed in after Arsenal failed to clear a corner.
The Gunners poured forward in search of a winner and eventually got the goal they deserved when Nketiah turned the ball home in the 90th minute.
Earlier, defending champions Manchester City had closed the gap to just two points with their 3-0 win against Wolves, courtesy of Erling Haaland’s fourth hat-trick of the season.
Scott McTominay replaced Brazilian midfielder Casemiro, who was ineligible after picking up a fifth booking of the season in United’s midweek draw with Crystal Palace, with loan signing Wout Weghorst again leading the line.
New Arsenal arrival Leandro Trossard, who joined late last week from Brighton, had to settle for a place on the bench as Mikel Arteta named an unchanged team.
There is growing sense of belief at the Emirates that the Gunners can at last end their long wait for the Premier League title, which they have not won since 2004.
Arsenal flew out of the blocks, with Thomas Partey flashing just wide as they surged forward.
But it was United who broke the deadlock in the 17th minute in stunning style, when Bruno Fernandes found Rashford, who skipped past Partey with ease and powered a low drive into the corner of the net from 25 yards.
Manchester United Plot Summer Move For Napoli Striker, Victor Osimhen
According to a report by Italian media, Il Mattino, Manchester United are reportedly lining up a bumper offer for Super Eagles and Napoli striker star Victor Osimhen in the summer.
United recently added Wout Weghorst on loan and signing a striker in the summer transfer window will be a matter of urgency for the Red Devils as Dutch tactician Erik ten Hag will want to add a prolific forward to boost his squad.
Ten Hag has identified Osimhen as a target and will want to bring the Nigeria international to the Premier League next season.
“Manchester United are already lining up to sign Victor Osimhen, with many intermediaries already at work to bring him to the Premier League after this season,” Il Mattino reports.
The report states that the former Lille star is worth at least €150m.
United will be joined by Newcastle United and Arsenal in the race to acquire his signature.
But the 24-year-old Nigeria international has said he is focused on helping Napoli win the title and has asked his entourage to postpone any talks regarding his future until June.
Osimhen’s contract runs until 2025, with a salary of €4.3m per year. It will be difficult for Napoli to keep him by offering a new deal, also because Aurelio De Laurentiis doesn’t intend to offer bigger wages.
The Nigerian has played a key role for Luciano Spalletti’s side this season, scoring 12 goals and providing four assists in 14 Serie A appearances this season.